Searching...

‘I earn £16,000, but I’d still live modestly even if I was paid big sums’

12:11 AM
Trainee council worker Mairi-Frances McKay on how she manages to have a good life despite debt and a low income

When I graduated from university last year I got an 18-month trainee post with Leicester council children’s services. It pays £16,000 a year which is a fraction of the average salary, but compared to my time as a student I feel flush.

Until last summer I lived on a food budget of £20 a week and it was a struggle. I’d go to the supermarket late at night when stuff was marked down and eventually I realised that food went further if I made meals from scratch. I learned to order £40-worth of ingredients online and that would last a month. Now I spend £20 a week socialising with colleagues.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/2Ld0vTs

0 comments:

Post a Comment